Can anyone explain - IPSec latency

Howard Lowndes lannet at lannet.com.au
Wed Feb 20 06:08:33 EST 2002

Can anyone explain, or even guess, why the difference between ex-tunnel
and in-tunnel ping times is so much more when the link is ADSL to PSTN -v-
ADSL to ADSL.  I know why the base latency is greater, but that doesn't
explain the difference in latencies.  All machines at the gateways are
comparable (typically mid-range Celerons).

Typically:

ADSL to ADSL (3 cases) ex-tunnel=65msec in-tunnel=80msec diff=15msec
ADSL to PSTN (1 case)       "    185         "    235      "  50
ADSL to PSTN (1 case)       "    345         "    490      "  145

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people