Parliment House Webcasting - limited access through proprietary formats

Anthony David adavid at adavid.com.au
Tue Feb 19 23:22:00 EST 2002

Mark Purcell <mark at purcell.homeip.net> writes:

> Dear Parliament House Webcast manager,
>
> I am writing to express my concern in the limits to access you have placed on
> the Parliament house web casts by choosing to only provide these broadcasts
> in Microsoft Windows Media Player format. As detailed at
> http://www.aph.gov.au/live/webcast2.asp.
>
> Microsoft Windows Media Player format is a proprietary media format which can
> only be decoded by indivuals who have purchased and licensed the proprietary
> Microsoft Windows operating system and then downloaded the 'free' media
> player component of Microsoft Windows.
>
> I and many other have chosen open software and open standards for the
> provision of a comprehensive computing operating system, without being tied
> to proprietary standards and formats.  Indeed the governments of South
> Africa, United Kingdom and Germany are also investigating the value of open
> software and open standards in Government.
> http://www.naci.org.za/docs/opensource.pdf
>
> For the Parliament house webcasts in question, other webcasting services
> choose to provide both Windows Media Player and RealPlayer format, for which
> players are freely available for non-Microsoft platforms.
>
> I hope that you will receive these comments positively as an attempt to
> further expand the availability of your information.

Good luck. I pointed nearly two years ago. All I got was a dismissive
remark and mumblings about it being easier and a "standard". Your
approach looks like a better one. I think it was the same person though...

BTW, neither RealPlayer nor QTime (only available on MacOS and Win)
qualify as Free Software.

--
Anthony David

Gambling(n): A discretionary tax on those asleep during high school maths
http://adavid.com.au/
0xA72CE1ED fingerprint = EA1E C69E FE59 BBE1 AA4B  F354 BD09 9765 A72C E1ED