Problems with reboot on Red Hat -- Help !!!

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Tue Feb 19 22:10:08 EST 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 9:49 pm, you wrote:
> Rasjid,
>
> yes i can successfully do a shutdown -h without problems but when i try
> shutdown -r now, it shutdowns all the process and then freezes up??
>
> Paul

Okay.  In reality I know almost nothing about this, so I'm approaching this
as a pure logic problem not from experience.

<uneducated guess>
If this worked prior to RH7.0, then something has changed in the way linux
does a reboot.  Have a look at
$ man reboot
and
$ man 2 reboot

A guess is that RH7.0 and later do soft reboots whereas earlier versions of
RH did hard ones.  Try passing the kernel either 'reboot=hard' through lilo
or grub. Failing that, try 'reboot=soft'

A list a kernel paramaters can be found at:
http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/armlinux/common/kernparams.html

Alternately you could try updating the bios on the system and see if that
helps.
</uneducated guess>

Rasjid.