bad blocks

Brett Worth brettw at cray.com.au
Tue Feb 19 15:18:59 EST 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Marek Samoc wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Ben Elliston wrote:
> BE>   Martijn> of fsck, there's this dos program called scandisk which does that. Why would
> BE>   Martijn> some person write a linux version when the dos version is fine?
> BE>
> BE> Err, because it's not free software?
> BE>
> BE> Ben
>
> Search for dosfsck.rpm
> I used it once a long time ago. It worked.

And if you're looking for bad blocks and are not just wanting to check the
filesystem (?) integrity then use "dd".  e.g.

	dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/null bs=256k conv=noerror

This will do a straight read of the entire partition regardless of the
filesystem.  Errors will be logged to syslog and fatal ones to the screen.

Brett