pdf optimisation

John Griffiths john at capmon.com
Tue Feb 19 14:44:08 EST 2002

At 02:14 PM 2/19/02 +1100, Michael Still wrote:

>There are known issues with IE and PDF documents, although I am not aware
>of any show stoppers which can be fixed -- you would think Adobe /
>Microsoft would panic if this was the case. What sort of problems are you
>experiencing?

Our users are experiencing blank white screens where the document should
be, we get this ourselves, but because we're on the LAN it seem to happen
less,

optimised/linearised files, because the first page is sent and displayed
before the whole document has downloaded.

older large docs (100Kb plus), created in Acrobat 3 seem to have real, and
more common issues with display in acro 5/ IE 5/6 combinations.

certainly today optimisation changed 30+ docs from clangers back to working
web documents.

>I believe there is a tool from Glance to linearize on the command line of
>your unix box, but I haven't used it, don't know how reliable it is, or
>how fast it is. I think it is also a commercial pay money product. Try
>http://pdf.glance.ch and look for pdlinearize.

Ok I'll take a look

>Finally, ghostscript can probably linearize the documents for you -- just
>treat it as a conversion like any other.

And I'll try this...

Thanks very much