bad blocks

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Tue Feb 19 14:32:15 EST 2002

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 10:39:43AM +0900, Antony Stace wrote:
> Is there any way I can check for bad blocks on a fat partition, if I try fsck on a fat partition
> I get an error.....
>
> [root at ringo /root]# fsck -C /dev/hda2
> Parallelizing fsck version 1.19 (13-Jul-2000)
> fsck: fsck.vfat: not found
> fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.vfat for /dev/hda2
> [root at ringo /root]#
>
> Is there a fat version of fsck?

There is a badblocks program which can be used to scan for badblocks, though
I don't really know whether it's ext2 specific or not. As to a vfat version
of fsck, there's this dos program called scandisk which does that. Why would
some person write a linux version when the dos version is fine?

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/