bad blocks

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Tue Feb 19 09:57:54 EST 2002

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 06:41:45PM +0100, Ostdeutschland at gmx.de wrote:
> Hi
>
> fsck -C /dev/hda2 returns:
>
> Error reading block 115748 (attemp to read block from filesystem resulted in
> short read) while reading indirect blocks of inode 49100
>
> Has anyone an idea how to fix this ?

Check your syslog. Errors like this are usually acconpanied by much disk
grinding and many kernel warning massages. It may have even remounted your
disk read-only as a precaution.

Anyway, it generally indicates a serious problem with your disk and I'd
suggest backing up all your data straight away. Fsck can usually recover
most data but I'm not sure how it deals with this situation.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/