Implementing a make command

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sun Feb 17 16:20:18 EST 2002

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Simon Fowler wrote:

> Are you looking at putting the filesystem code in the kernel? If so,
> you most likely /won't/ need your own mount program - mount(8)
> passes all the information you'll need. You only need an extra mount
> program to handle really odd stuff like extra authentication and so
> forth.

I was hoping for a userland only solution, because this strikes me as
being a lot easier to debug, and less likely to take my machine to a
better place.

I wrote a three line mount program (just says hello in main()), and put it
in /usr/local/bin (the same location as smbmount). When I try a mount -t
mikal blah /tmp/blah I get a message saying 'mikal' isn't supported by the
kernel.

Does this imply that it is impossible to have a userland only filesystem?

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)     UMT+11hrs