terminal to a serial port

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 15 09:50:20 EST 2002

Ben Elliston wrote:

>   Kim> I want to open a terminal session to a serial port.  I can't
>   Kim> see how to do it.  This is easy in Windows 9+ or 2K.  I use
>   Kim> hyperterm.
>
>   Kim> I tried minicom but it insists trying to talk to a modem.  I
>   Kim> don't have a modem connected, just a device with a serial port.
>
> I've used Minicom to talk to non-modem devices.  You just need to be
> patient, get control of Minicom and override the settings for modem
> control lines, hardware handshaking, etc.
>
> Ben

I always use minicom for HyperTerm type functionality. Far from being
harder to configure, I actually find HyperTerm (the few times I have
ever tried to use it) quite hard to set up for direct connection.

Anyway, the best bit about minicom is when you select the Comm Parameters
menu and it asks you to "<Enter> to exit?". Obviously written by a geek.

I use it for connected to unhappy switches etc. and for the occasional
debugging of Bunyip nodes.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.