Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Feb 13 09:32:16 EST 2002

On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 12:02 , Richard Cottrill wrote:

> I think the closest thing I've heard of in the wild (for free) is the
> IPCop
> project. It's a spin-off of Smoothwall but it uses ext3 so it should
> shrug
> off slight power cuts...

I have given an old 386 box to a married couple friends of mine.  It was
installed with SmoothWall GPL about 2 years ago (18 months?), and the
only things I'd change about it if I could be bothered would be
upgrading to EXT3, and installing sshd so I can connect remotely to do
preventative maintenance remotely.

Since there are no ports open on the outside, there's very little chance
of the box being compromised.

I've been working on a Debian-based box with webmin and a couple of
scripts that I've pared down from the SmoothWall installation (the ones
responsible for doing the dial-up/disconnect from a web page).

Alex