Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Feb 12 23:41:09 EST 2002

The Smoothwall people are 'difficult' at best. The founders both have
'interesting' conversational styles. Richard Morrell is the most vocal and
visible; described by one person as 'the human pit-bull'. He is, in general,
abusive, rude, arrogant, and the very model of a difficult nerd.

I have it from the horse's mouth that Smoothwall GPL is being deliberately
being knobbled to push sales of the for-profit offerings from Smoothwall
Ltd. The Smoothwall people don't behave as any other GPL project; this is a
business. They don't accept code; they're not (as a group) very open; and
they're generally a bit of a pain to deal with.

As people they're probably not a complete write-off but they're a PITA if
you want to talk about Smoothwall, GPL, etc.

My biggest fear is that IPCop is attempting to move wholesale away from
Smoothwall; and that they wont make it. Have a look at their TODO list for
version 2.

Richard