Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Tue Feb 12 22:41:54 EST 2002

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 12/02/02, 5:30:29 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org> wrote
regarding Re: Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:24:03PM +1100, Ian Matters wrote:
> >
> > >Could someone with experience of Gibraltar/Smoothwall
> > >  say what the CD activity is like?
> > >Does it let the CD spin down and sit once it has booted?
> > >
> > >That would require a decent complement of ram, say 64 Meg or 128 Meg?
> > I run Smoothwall 0.99 on my small network.  The machine is an old '486
with
> > about 500MB of HDD and 32MB of RAM and is quite adequate for the
> > job.  Smoothwall does require a hard drive.

> Wow! Powerful machine! I've got a 486SX/33 with 200MB HDD and 16MB RAM
> running a very bare debian install.

Hmmmm.  So I guess what you saying is my Pentuim 166 with 32 Megs and a
1.2Gig disk is just too much.  I do run IPSec and I do use the extra disk
space for caching content.  IPCop just doesn't work it hard enough.  The
machine doesn't have a CD either so I had to do the mount ISO image
thingy.