Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?

Steven Hanley sjh at wibble.net
Tue Feb 12 22:33:26 EST 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 12:42:21PM +1100, Michael James wrote:
> Does it let the CD spin down and sit once it has booted?

well gibraltar works off a cd and stores config on a floppy disk, the floppy
does not have to stay in the drive once running, however it is probably best
to keep it in there in read only mode so if the power fails it will reboot
fine, smothwall needs a hard disk to install oonto, and can only be managed
from the gui web interface without pain. on the other hand gibraltar (free
version) only lets you manage it the standard way (cli) however it does have a
2.4 kernel and the advantage of needing no hd. And yes the cd spins down once
running, only ever has to spin up when it runs commands not in memory, which
after the first few hours of operation would generally only be those run by
you when you ssh in and do stuff.

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view