Determining the memory usage of a program

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Feb 12 19:57:51 EST 2002

Hey all,

I have a program which takes quite a while to run, and eventually dies --
I think because it runs out of memory. I would like a command where I can
go:

  musage <program name and args>

and have it output stats when the program ends, much like time does for
time.

Does anyone know of such a program? Failing that, I had a little poke
around in /proc/<pid> to see if there was something that told the amount
of core being used, but I can't find anything -- it must be there because
top can find it...

Thanks,
Mikal

PS: It's a bison and flex app which returns with a "parser stack
overflow", which the Levine Lex and Yacc book says shouldn't be seen by
mere mortals. Yay me!

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)     UMT+11hrs