programming languages

Steve.York at hpa.com.au Steve.York at hpa.com.au
Tue Feb 12 09:45:20 EST 2002

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:48:10 +0100
> From: Andreas Bauer <baueran at in.tum.de>
> To: linux at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: programming languages
>
> > What I do need now is an embedded language, but one
> > with a twist. Because I'm writting relationalish
> > database product, it needs to know about NULLs. That
> > is:
> >
> >   substr(NULL,0,1) is not "" but NULL.
> >   "Hello"+NULL is NULL not "Hello".
> >   (a<b) may return NULL not just 'true' or 'false'
>

> > Lua (http://www.lua.org) is close. It's small. Easy to
> > compile anywhere (ie the mainframe). But it doesn not
> > handle NaN and NULL properly.
>
> > Anyone know where I can find information about
> > creating my own litte embedded, typesafe, functional,
> > ternary logic scripting language?

It sounded like you use/have used C/C++.
The fact it doesn't have higher level abstraction should be it's benefit.
You customize your own abstraction to your needs.
We needed a library that could generically read in the fields from raw datafiles,
MYSQL, Oracle, and have a very successful system running now.
NULLS are accounted for.  It's written in C, and is very easy to use.

Stephen York

the HPA Postmaster: postmaster at hpa.com.au.

Before opening or using any attachments we recommend you check them
for viruses and defects.
Our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.

www.hpa.com.au