Mail activated scripts

David Clarke gadicath at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 16:05:40 EST 2002

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> I want my system to run a script when I receive a mail with a specified
> subject header.
>
> I assume the best way to do this is use fetchmail to grab my mail, which then
> passes it to the MTA (whick is sendmail on RH7.2 AFAIK).

Yep you can do it this way, or you can use the "mda" option in your
fetchmailrc to bypass the MTA and pass the email straight to your MDA.

If you've not used procmail before, and hence don't know the format of
the rc files, I'd recommend maildrop.  I found it a bit easier to
pickup.  Or if you know perl there's the Mail::Audit module.

	HTH,
	   David

--
All generalizations are false, including this one. -- Mark Twain
-