Mail activated scripts

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Sun Feb 10 11:51:40 EST 2002

I would like to check that I'm heading in the right direction before spending
an hour or so getting my head around .procmailrc files.

I currently use KMail as my mail client, on a standard RH7.2 system.

I want my system to run a script when I receive a mail with a specified
subject header.

I assume the best way to do this is use fetchmail to grab my mail, which then
passes it to the MTA (whick is sendmail on RH7.2 AFAIK).

Based on my reading of the sendmail config file (which does not mean a lot to
me), it looks like RH7.2 uses procmail as the MDA.  Is this correct?

I then need to get KMail to check my 'local' account in
/var/spool/mail/username.  Do I use the Procmail lockfile
/var/spool/mail/username.lock in KMail??

Once I've got all this working, then I read up about procmail and how to get
it to do things (like run a shell script on a certain type of mail trigger).

Anyway, does this look like the right approach?

Thanks,

Rasjid.