Open Relay Checker before Opening MTA

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sun Feb 10 10:45:08 EST 2002

Alex Satrapa wrote:

> On Sunday, February 10, 2002, at 09:27 , Ben Elliston wrote:
>
> > I realise that Neil's idea would prevent his system from *accepting*
> > mail from open relays.  Another approach I have heard about is to only
> > accept mail for a domain (say, domain.com) from domain.com's listed MX
> > hosts.  I don't know which MTAs implement this, though--anyone?
>
> The only catch I can see with this is that a listed MX may only be for
> incoming mail, with outgoing mail sent by other machines.

My e-mail is abartlet at pcug.org.au, but I'm also abartlet at samba.org.
Either way, all my e-mail is sent by smtp.webone.com.au.  Also many
sites (including hawkerc.net) are (as Alex points out) configured to
recieve e-mails at one host, but to send e-mails from another.  In my
case this was a design decision.

Finally, you won't do this if you still want to get this list - as
samba.org's outgoing mail also uses this arrangement...

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net