Open Relay Checker before Opening MTA

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Sun Feb 10 02:21:48 EST 2002

I'm wondering that you might open yourself to potential legal hassles by
attempting to (even test) if the other server is an open relay. If there
were a suitably motivated lawyer they might construe it as improper use of
facilities or some such thing. I'm also a little worried that if this were
to become a common practice that it might not scale too well. I suppose
you'd really need an awful lot of servers on board before that happened.

Richard