OT: Options for ISA Single Board Computers?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sat Feb 9 12:49:52 EST 2002

I have two Industrial PCs with passive ISA backplanes.  They have
half-length i386sx/25 CPU cards on them.  However, the CMOS batteries
are dead, the boards only support 32pin SIMMs, and the HD controller
appears to have problems detecting ATA drives more recent than 1985.

I can probably solve the drive problem by booting off the drives that
the machines were supplied with, and having a larger ATA drive available
for Linux to mess with once it's booted.

The memory problem will be hard to fix, since I have no 32 pin SIMMs
lying around.  If anyone's got spares (eg: 2 or 4Mb SIMMs), I'd be
willing to swap chips for cash :)

Of course, if someone has an unwanted ISA CPU card or two lying around
that can take 72 pin SIMMs, I'd be happy to relieve you of *those* in
exchange for some of my unwanted cash.  Note that Advantech in Sydney
are selling a 486DX4/100 board with VGA, 100Mbps ethernet, HD Controller
and IrDA for about $700.  All I'm looking for is the HD Controller and
processor on-board.  If I had $700 to spend, I'd be taking my money out
to the computer fair and picking up a couple of old PCs (while
simultaneously junking these industrial PCs).

Such a pity though - these boxes are relatively quiet, and they're
compact too.  But I need something that actually *works* - good looks
comes second when you're talking about long term potential.

Alex