Locked out using Linux/Opera

Gough, Chris Chris.Gough at cit.act.edu.au
Fri Feb 8 12:53:48 EST 2002

On Fri, 08 Feb 2002, Peter Watson wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am a student at CIT in my last year. I was "surprised" to discover
> that I am now no longer able to access my academic records.
> This is apparently (according to their IT person) because the software
> used to (ahem) implement their "BANNER" is only aware of M$ and IE or
> nutscrape. I have chosen to go open source this year and CHOOSE Linux
> and Opera as my OS/Browser.
> Needless to say I"ll take issue to IT policymakers at CIT...
> Comments?
> suggestions
>
> Peter Watson.

I used to be the webmaster at CIT. It was always difficult to do anything on
it's technical (or usability) merits, due to the groupthink / committee way
that decisions are made.

"It seems we need to make a decision; this is one, so let's make it."

The "Banner" system is an american product (by "SCT"), based Oracle. The
"Banner Web for Students" thingy is a proprietary plug in. The Academic
records unit control the Banner system, and wouldn't let the web publishing
team touch it. I used to want to relate the web content to dynamically
generated organisation / course structure (consistent with the banner
version of the truth), but was not a good enough politician. I'm almost
beyond caring these days, but I still say give 'em hell :)

BTW, if you are still in Canberra, check out the sever storm warning for
this afternoon: http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDN28400.txt