System crash

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Tue Feb 5 13:40:51 EST 2002

I have two boxes that have worked flawlessy for a couple of years
up and die on me recently.

In the first instance, an SMP box that had run flawlessly
for a year or so fold when I did some really heavy
work on it. Turns out the kernel (which I had never bothered
upgrading as it worked) had some problems on heavily loaded
SMP boxes. I put in a newer kernel and all is good.

In the second instance, my fileserver at home started getting
really flakey after a thunderstorm last December. Replacing
the memory mostly fixed it, but it's still not getting hundreds
of days of uptime. So there must be other broken hardware. Next
pay day I'm buying a UPS. :o)

And then, if it only happened once, it could have been a cosmic ray
or something.

Cheers,

Antti