compiling kernels - built in v module

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sat Feb 2 11:43:49 EST 2002

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 10:30:12AM +1000, Mick Howe wrote:
> I'm insterested I'm peoples opinions regarding what to build in to the kernel
> and what to make into modules
>
> I'm running RedHat 7.1 on a Celeron 533, 640MB ram, 44x IDE CDROM, 2x write/
> 8x read IDE CDR, with two 4.3 SCSI HDDs, HP SureStor T4 SCSI tape, S3 virge
> agp video, realtek 8139 nic, Ensonique 1371 sound, Plustek OP600p scanner.

Basically, I look at what I'm going to use and compile in things that are
*always* going to be used. So, if I mounting DOS partitions at bootup, I
compile in vfat. CD Images? -> loop and iso9660. I tend to do network cards
as modules because they're easier to configure that way (besides, then you
control the load order and hence the interface name order). If you're
running a firewall, you may as well compile the firewall stuff in (but not
necessarily all the iptables sub-modules, because you probably won't use
them all).

I also tend to do SCSI as modules because I like to be able to load and
unload ide-cd, ide-scsi and sr at will to provide different access methods
to the cdroms/burners.

I find people who compile unix domain sockets as a module crazy because
it's going to be loaded moments after init starts anyway.

Basically, it comes down to personal preference. Everything will work either
way so it comes down to kernel size vs lsmod output.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/