[Aaron.Smith@Sun.COM: Replacement for iMesh]

Brett Worth brettw at cray.com
Thu Dec 19 10:44:20 EST 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Duncan Roe wrote:

> If you assume 60A15E is hex-encoded ascii, it's back-tick period uparrow
>
>  `.^
>
> which could be an emoticon of some sort (a dog maybe?).
>
> Just my wild guess,

My guess is that its a hackers reference to the person responsible for
the listing of the township of Knox County in the US in 1812.

I quote:

"325 HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY

CHAPTER XXXIII.

MORRIS TOWNSHIP.

ON the 2d of March, 1812, upon petition of several citizens this township
was laid off, and an order issued for an election to be held at the house
of Benjamin Rush for township officers. A majority of the early settlers
being natives of Morris county, New Jersey, caused the name of Morris to be
selected. The officers of the election, this year. Wm. Douglass. Daniel
Cooper, Wm. Thrift, Judges ; James Trimble and John Wheeler, clerks. The
township was listed lox- N. C. Boalse, who was paid a $6 county order for

                               ^^^^^^

his services. At a special meeting of the associate Judges, March 14, 1812,
three justices were allowed to this township at the election ordered by the
Commissioners. There were fifty voters. James Trimble was chosen Township
Clerk ; Scott Durbin and James Miller, constables and James Loveridge,
Treasurer. At this is period, this may be said to have been the foremost
township in the county. Clinton was them in its prime, the country around
was settled by the very best kind of people; the upper branches of Owl
Creek, uniting within its limits, gave them some of its richest bottom
lands for cultivation, and the flow of emigration brought much substantial
population. At the election of 1816 there were 83

"

Brett

 Cray Australia.
 brettw at cray.com +61 2 6295 4023

PGP: 1024R/27EB604F  22A9 A85A 22BD 496B 2443
                     35E5 46F7 0712 27EB 604F