Which USB Modem?

Doug.Palmer at csiro.au Doug.Palmer at csiro.au
Tue Dec 17 10:22:05 EST 2002

> Have you considered getting a filter to spare the lives of all these
> poor, innocent modems? You certainly used to be able to get
> line filters
> that had both mains and telephone line filtering (they were
> designed for
> fax machines). I presume they're still out there.

Everything I have is protected by surge protectors, including the phone
lines -- from Jaycar, incidentally. These are OK for most things, such as
the sudden voltage surges and drops I get when all the off-peak stuff comes
on, but (demonstrably) not for a nearby lightning strike.

Unfortunately, I live on the edge of Bungendore facing the North -- the
direction storms often come from. So my immediate vicinity is popular for
lightning, since it's got the first spikey things after relatively flat
country.

I have considered getting a UPS, since many of them come with superior
lightning protection. But it's hard to justify the cost for the amount of VA
I'll need. Instead, if I'm home I just unplug everything and if I'm not home
I just pray and replace the blitzed modems (external only) as they happen.