[More] Help with open source briefing

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Dec 16 09:21:42 EST 2002

Mark Purcell wrote:

>[Brief] looks fairly good.  But quite heavily focused on the programming/
>heavy (server) end of town. Need to mention some of the excellent desktop work;
>GNOME/ KDE as well as the 'office' type applications such as OpenOffice,
>Abiword, KWord.

Perhaps consider breaking up the Open Source examples page into sections:
 - Operating Systems and Administration
   (eg: Linux, *BSD, lsof, top)
 - Network Services and Diagnostics
    (eg: Samba, Apache, ping, BIND)
 - Application Development
    (eg: Perl, Java, gcc, patch)
 - Databases
    (eg: MySQL, Postgres)
 - Desktop Environment
    (eg: Gnome, WindowMaker, AfterStep, gzip, Gabber)

On the "initiatives" page, indicate what might make up a least-impact
migration route (this is just my suggestion):
 - Start with low-level services such as DNS - these are easily replaced
with minimal impact since users never interact with them directly
 - Firewalls
 - Web servers
 - Print servers
 - File servers

Then when the entire infrastructure is migrated to non-rental software,
the desktops can be migrated by staff who have become skilled and
knowledgable through the preceeding stages of migration.