Laptop problems. was: What kind of laptop?

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Thu Dec 12 17:39:49 EST 2002

Hi Everyone.

I took Damien's advice and mucked around with xset.  Still can stop the
screen from blanking out.  I have used the following to stop DPMS.
	$ xset s noblank dpms 0 0 0
	$ xset -dpms

You have to do it with 2 commands as changing the dpms settings
re-enables dpms again. Still found that it didn't help.

I then found that xscreensaver was re-enabling the dpms settings as it
records the settings in its .xscreensaver configuration.  Setting the
values to 0 0 0 and no dpms using xscreensaver-demo stopped it stuffing
up my dpms settings.

Still didn't work.  It now blanks out after 30 minutes but I don't have
dpms enabled even if I disable the screen saver.  It also blanks out in
console at run level 1.  Go figure.

Can anyone help.  It is driving me mad.  The main problem is that if I
want to watch a movie with xine then I can't without the screen blanking.
 Note the xine provides simulates key presses to prevent the screen saver
triggering and that bit works but the screen still goes blank after 30
minutes.  I have also tried stopping the apm deamon in case that had some
effect.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Simon.