Help with 'Open Source' Briefing

John Griffiths john at capmon.com
Mon Dec 9 10:42:02 EST 2002

'ere you go, from the Software Improvements site:

http://www.softimp.com.au/evacs.html

"eVACStm, developed by Software Improvements, is the electronic voting and
vote counting system used for the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
Legislative Assembly Election of 20 October 2001....

... eVACS is written in C and sits on a cut-down Debian GNU linux operating
System."

Cheers.

_________________
If you want to baffle with bullshit I'd recommend:

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/

if it's good enough for the super spooks its good enough for the ACT govt
surely.

Wasn't the electronic voting system in the last ACT election Debian based?

http://www.debian.org/News/2001/20010727

that should make a good point surely?

At 10:32 AM 12/9/02 +1100, Burn Alting wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 15:55, Steve Jenkin wrote:
>> I've got an hour on Thu 19th Dec with Ted Quinlan [deputy Chief minister]
>> to 'brief' him on Open Source.
>>
>> I've got the structure done [4 sections: 'What is  "Open Src"', 'Examples',
>> 'Local Advantages', 'Actions']  I've had it explained to me to keep it
>> _simple_ and brief and not to expect any reaction on the spot [that's up to
>> the advisors & party machine later].
>>
>> I'm asking the group for specific help on 2 points:
>> - Real URL's that show that using OpenSrc is 'safe', especially in Govt.
>> - Any URL's or refs to articles that show Canberra/ACT is 'uniquely
>> blessed' wrt OpenSrc
>>   [A friend remembered an article claiming "4 of the 'top ten' opensrc
>> developers' were in ACT.  Tridge, Paulus, Rusty Russell.  Anyone seen the
>> article or can name the fourth?]
>>
>> TIA
>> sj
>
>You could try the paper prepared for the UK's Occupational Health and Safety
>Department (Health & Safety Executive - www.hse.gov.uk) which assesses  how
>Linux can be used for safety related systems ...
>	http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrhtm/rr011.htm
>

>I also believe the German Air Traffic Control systems use Linux - perhaps
>check out their web site.
>
>Lastly, look at a mailing list on Linux in Government

>Regards
>
>Burn Alting

    Not yet is the spirit of that pristine valour
    extinct in you, when girt with steel and lofty flames
    once we fought against the empire of heaven.
    We were -- that I will not deny -- vanquished in that conflict:
    yet the great intention was not lacking in nobility.
    Something or other gave Him victory: to us remained
    the glory of a dauntless daring.
    And even if my troop fell thence vanquished,
    yet to have attempted a lofty enterprise is still a trophy.

    --From La Strage degli Innocenti (The Slaughter of the
Innocents) by Giambattista Marino (1569-1625)