Help with 'Open Source' Briefing

Burn Alting burn at goldweb.com.au
Mon Dec 9 10:32:23 EST 2002

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 15:55, Steve Jenkin wrote:
> I've got an hour on Thu 19th Dec with Ted Quinlan [deputy Chief minister]
> to 'brief' him on Open Source.
>
> I've got the structure done [4 sections: 'What is  "Open Src"', 'Examples',
> 'Local Advantages', 'Actions']  I've had it explained to me to keep it
> _simple_ and brief and not to expect any reaction on the spot [that's up to
> the advisors & party machine later].
>
> I'm asking the group for specific help on 2 points:
> - Real URL's that show that using OpenSrc is 'safe', especially in Govt.
> - Any URL's or refs to articles that show Canberra/ACT is 'uniquely
> blessed' wrt OpenSrc
>   [A friend remembered an article claiming "4 of the 'top ten' opensrc
> developers' were in ACT.  Tridge, Paulus, Rusty Russell.  Anyone seen the
> article or can name the fourth?]
>
> TIA
> sj

You could try the paper prepared for the UK's Occupational Health and Safety
Department (Health & Safety Executive - www.hse.gov.uk) which assesses  how
Linux can be used for safety related systems ...
	http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrhtm/rr011.htm

I also believe the German Air Traffic Control systems use Linux - perhaps
check out their web site.

Lastly, look at a mailing list on Linux in Government