Hardware question...

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Dec 8 10:09:07 EST 2002

Karun Dambiec wrote:
> On Saturday 07 December 2002 20:17, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>
> > > Needless to say I plugged the speaker connector on back to front and
> > > shorted something out.  :-/
>
> Maybe plugging the speaker connector in while it was running damaged the
> mainboard or part of it?

I do not think it is possible to damage anything by plugging the speaker
out/in while the machine is running. Plugging it into the wrong place
can
have severe effects, but I have plugged things into the wrong place many
times and so far the worst I got was the power supply doing a shutdown,
never damaged anything yet.

Nevertheless, a good static spark can damage a motherboard, and the
spark
normally happens when you plug something in (with the machine running or
not). Do you always touch the case before touching the motherboard?

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>