Hardware question...

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sat Dec 7 20:17:58 EST 2002

Peter Lavender wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I got myself a $10 bargin the other weekend.
>
> All was going fine until I got a little bored during the 5th install
> of debian (mucking about iwth NIC's so I just kept starting the
> install over) and tried plugging the PC speaker back in while the
> sytem was running.
>
> Needless to say I plugged the speaker connector on back to front and
> shorted something out.  :-/

The speaker will not do that. Here are some things to try:
- you may have scrambled the nvram. Do the "clear cmos" dance
- kick the setup a bit, reseat everything, remove all parts that are
  not essential for the install to start
- run memtest (always good) (see http://memtest86.com) overnight

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>