about linux serial driver development

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Fri Dec 6 14:34:02 EST 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, 99084518d wrote:

> I find that if i modified the serial.c, i have to re-compile the whole kernel
> and reboot it such that i can use it. i have download the serial-5.05 version
> but i find it cannot be used in RedHat linux 7.3 (i386), could you please
> teach me how to remove the current serial driver and install it back instead
> of rebuild the whole kernel??

Compile serial support as a "module". Use the "module
utilities" (modutils) to insert and remove these "modules" from teh
running kernel. In this case, you would be inserting "serial.o".

Have a look in Documentation/modules.txt in your kernel source directory
for more information.

> mc

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\