[linux] [newbie] Tar - Is there a 2Gb limit file size on NT4

Ken Walker ken.walker at textiles.umist.ac.uk
Tue Dec 3 22:59:34 EST 2002

well for max file sizes, i found out for win95/win98 its 4Gb-1Kb, and for
ntfs its 4Gb-1byte, on ntfs5.1 its toooo big to cause anyone any problems,
in the trillion bytes range. So the 2Gb limit i'm having is not the target
max file size limits.

NTFS r/w problems only occur when the drive is in the Linux machine, not
remotely connected across networks.

Am i right in thinking it doesn't effect tape devices because there not
block devices ?