large disks in old machines

Drake Diedrich dld at coyote.com.au
Mon Aug 26 19:33:26 EST 2002

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 12:04:27PM +1000, Rob Shugg wrote:

> Hey
> I am setting up some file servers on old P2's and have come across some
> problems.
>
> the disk is a Seagate Barracuda 80G.

> Questions:
> has anyone else experienced this or do I have a dud disk?

   I have one of these drives.  I know 2 others who also have them, and have
both had trouble finding machines that can run them.  Variety of symptoms, I
think what you saw above was what one of the 3 systems I tried generated.
The 4th box worked. (~233-466MHz era systems).  It's that particular make of
drive - it's a snob or something.  Once you find a machine that can run it
it runs flawlessly (mine does anyway).  Not sure what the issues are, but
try swapping it into different machines.  Scary motherboard BIOS upgrade
maybe?