Upgrading my monitor - follow-up

Neil Pickford neilp at goldweb.com.au
Sun Aug 25 23:18:14 EST 2002

Matthew is correct.  One extra decoding bit

The "(B)" means quality B on the scale A, B, C, D, T & Z
Where A is first rate as new out of the Box
T is Tip Fodder
Z is Not Working (Broken)

Non working items tend to go real cheap and if you buy enough you can
sometimes make working ones from bits of two or more.

SVGA tends to include (but not always) XGA and SXGA as well ie.
VGA  - 640 x 480
SVGA - 800 x 600
XGA  - 1024 x 768
SXGA - 1280 x 1024
You really need to test the resolution, brightness, convergence
and Focus on the ones you are interested in.

As for the large number of Acer's, Remember where these are coming
from.  Large Government contracts.  They have probably been sent to
auction because the particular govt department has outsourced it's
desktops and the new systems (usually on lease) come with new monitors
covered by a lease warranty.

That's why they are ending up at auction.

You should go along to a couple of Auctions and watch.
Don't Buy first time.  Get the feel of what is going on and prices.
Then go along before the next auction, pick a few items that you
are interested in and test them, Yes they have a test area.
Then you have an idea what you are bidding on.

Cheers
Neil Pickford