Upgrading my monitor - follow-up

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Sat Aug 24 08:43:12 EST 2002

In my attempt to be intelligent about my upgrade project, I have
dutifully attempted to follow up the numerous bits of helpful l advice
that has been offered.  Given the wealth of info offered, I thought it
fair to report what I have found to date.

I have opted to take on board the less-than-enthusiastic comments about
the new monitors offered at the recent Computer Fair and looked further.

To date I have failed in my attempts to track down details of the new
models that attracted favourable comments and looked as though they
might be in my price range.  One suggested monitor got muted support in
PC World review, but I failed to evoke a response from the NZ maker
(according to Google) about who distributes their products in Australia.
Others new options remain to be examined.

The prices of second-hand monitors offered at the Computer Fair are not
startlingly different from the quoted prices of the Canberra computer
retailers; the prices of new monitors were quite different - even
though the manufacturer | distributor was the same (the models may have
been different).

And I am totally confused by the published info on the Pickles and
Hymans auctions.  I simply do not know enough to interpret the supplied
Pickles info.  The Hymans info gives some more details - if I could only
understand what it says.

And this brings me to the crunch point of this posting.  Attached is a
short extract from the last Thursday's Hymans auction:

HP ULTRA VGA D2835 17 INCH DIGITAL _SVGA MONITOR_

_BASE OK_. DATA CABLE. (B) [1998] [WORKING] _S/n_

KR81391105 - _ARH_

I have marked the comments that I currently find obscure.  In
particular, I noted that some offerings are listed as "ARH" and others
as "MIC" (my hunch is that "S/n" refers to speakers;  I am uncertain
about how the description "SVGA" relates to the <scan rate|refresh
rate>, but suspect that the specs applying to each model exist
somewhere).

Lastly, in view of the unfavourable comments that Acer monitors have
attracted, I found it revealing that by far the largest number of
monitors offered at auction were "Acer".  Possibly, the original owners
of these monitors concur with the adverse product assessment.

Felix Karpfen
--
Felix Karpfen
felixk at webone.com.au