dumb question about fdisk

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Thu Aug 22 23:58:24 EST 2002

Kim Holburn (kim.holburn at anu.edu.au) wrote:
> I have a disk which is running, mounted etc. and I want to change the
> bootable flag to another partition.  I change the flag then I have to
> "write table to disk and exit".  Will this destroy data on my disk?  I

Yes.  With any luck, it will completely destroy the data containing the
previous setting of the bootable flag on that partition.

In fact, the authors might even be lazy and it will destroy all the
previous data on the partition table (replacing it all with the new
one).  I think this has something to do with the disk having to be
written to in 512-byte blocks.

As for the rest of the disk, in my experience Linux fdisk has never
touched it.

--
Matt
"So, logically, if she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood, and therefore a witch!"