Debian gripes

Stephen Rothwell sfr at canb.auug.org.au
Tue Aug 20 15:46:51 EST 2002

Hi James,

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:28:43 +1000 (EST) James Macnicol <jamesm at ee.adfa.edu.au> wrote:

> 	Okay, so the Debian package management stuff is very nice
> however I have two questions/gripes at the moment:
>
> 1.  Where are the info files for gcc hiding?  I want to know how to
> use "gcov" (which comes with gcc), the manual page tells me to look in
> the info file but that isn't installed.  I can't see any package they
> would be likely to be in, besides why install man pages and info files
> separately?  Any ideas?

If you are using gcc-XXX (where XXX is 2.95 or 2.96 or 3.0 or 3.1 or 3.2)
see the package gcc-XXX-doc ...

> 2.  I have to say I'm annoyed that the latest XFree86 and KDE 3.x
> aren't in the mainline Debian archives yet (even in "unstable").  I'm
> fairly keen to try the new KDE which I have seen (briefly) on SuSE
> boxen but I haven't got the time to mess around with using unofficial
> debs from strange places.  Does anyone know when these things are
> likely to be added?

No, but you can get a build of XFree 4.2 (from the Debian Xfree maintaner)
by adding

deb http://hanzubon.debian.gr.jp/debian-xfree86/ sid/i386/
(assuming you are using an Intel based box)
to your /etc/apt/sources.list .

It works for me - good luck.  I don't use KDE.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr at canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/