Debian gripes

Mark Paine mark at paineless.id.au
Tue Aug 20 15:47:00 EST 2002

Quoting James Macnicol <jamesm at ee.adfa.edu.au>:

> 	Okay, so the Debian package management stuff is very nice
> however I have two questions/gripes at the moment:
>
> 1.  Where are the info files for gcc hiding?  I want to know how to
> use "gcov" (which comes with gcc), the manual page tells me to look in
> the info file but that isn't installed.  I can't see any package they
> would be likely to be in, besides why install man pages and info files
> separately?  Any ideas?

Pass on this one, although having a quick look at www.debian.org and searching
the package list, it comes up with a gcc72-docs.  Documentation is quite often
a separate package.

> 2.  I have to say I'm annoyed that the latest XFree86 and KDE 3.x
> aren't in the mainline Debian archives yet (even in "unstable").  I'm
> fairly keen to try the new KDE which I have seen (briefly) on SuSE
> boxen but I haven't got the time to mess around with using unofficial
> debs from strange places.  Does anyone know when these things are
> likely to be added?

Debian Planet (www.debianplanet.org) has an article saying that KDE 3.0.3 has
been released in .deb format and is on all the main KDE mirrors.

There is a lot of discussion about KDE and Xfree packaging and the time it
takes for new releases to become available as debs.  Apparantly, there is some
effort required to package them up and there are only a couple of people that
do it and so it takes time to do it.  Of course, one could always build them
yourself, but that negates the advantages of Debian...

Mark P.
--
.sig - TBA
CBR AU