Debian gripes

Jeremy jepri at webone.com.au
Tue Aug 20 15:42:26 EST 2002

>1.  Where are the info files for gcc hiding?  I want to know how to

Install gcc272-docs or gcc-2.95-doc or gcc-3.0-doc.  There is a trend to separating
the docs from the programs, it makes sense when the docs get large.

They weren't that hard to find.  Try using dselect or aptitude and searching
for gcc.  Many extra goodies there.

>2.  I have to say I'm annoyed that the latest XFree86 and KDE 3.x
>aren't in the mainline Debian archives yet (even in "unstable").  I'm
>debs from strange places.  Does anyone know when these things are
>likely to be added?

When you package them :)  There is a tradition in community projects that whinging
about the lack of something volunteers you to fix the problem.  It tends to
cut down on posts like yours.

Congratulations, you are the new maintainer for KDE-3.  Hurry up will you, I
want to try it out too :)