Scripted backup to multiple CD Rom's.

Drake Diedrich dld at coyote.com.au
Tue Aug 20 11:46:52 EST 2002

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 11:10:03AM +1000, Brett Worth wrote:

> What's the effect of specifying myltiple "f" options and multiple targets?
>
> > tar cvff $fifo[0] $fifo[1]
>
> Does it write to both or round robin or what?  The man page doesn't mention
> it.

   Yep, it round-robins.  It should have worked with just one, but some race
between all the things opening and closing pipes made it fail some times, so
I just use two fifos and swap back and forth between them.
   And initially I just put a fifo for each tarball-piece, but with enough
pieces you get a ridiculously long cmdline.