mozilla port problem

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Tue Aug 20 08:48:51 EST 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Kim Holburn wrote:

> 1) I am running SuSE 8.0, trying to use mozilla in the way I used to use netscape:
> mozilla http://localhost:631  doesn't work with "connection refused".
> while
> mozilla http://127.0.0.1:631  works OK?
> /etc/hosts contains the line:
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> Other sites work fine.  Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

As someone mentioned, localhost being resolved to something other than
127.0.0.1...

> 2) I have a server running on port 1080 but when I try mozilla
> http://fred:1080 (fred is not the real domain name of the machine but
> the port number is correct) I get this message:
>   "Access to the port number given has been disabled for security reasons."

Due to some interesting "redirect a browser sitting behind a firewall to
attack various services on the inside" security issues, this is a feature
introduced to mozilla. AFAIK, the only way to modify this behaviour is to
play with a line from your .mozilla/prefs.js file (I didn't dig to far
into the interface, so it may be there somewhere. I have the line:

user_pref("network.security.ports.banned.override", "");

in mine.

> Kim

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\