GCC talk proposal

Andreas Bauer Andreas.Bauer at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 19 11:09:34 EST 2002

I want to renew my offer to give a talk about the work I'm doing on GCC at
the moment.  My aim is to enhance the compilation process for functional
and logic languages that use GNU C as target platform.  One of the major
problems here is the huge amount of tail-calls (i.e. calls in tail
position) occuring in functional programs and the question on how to
efficiently translate them with the GNU C compiler.

Therefore I'm working on an alternative calling convention for GCC which
supports proper tail-calls.  Having such an optimisation implemented, you
could write tail-recursive programs without having any stack growth at all
and no performance losses (except for the overhead of the new calling
convention itself).

Clearly, this would be an advantage not only for those who are using GHC or
Mercury at the moment.

So, if you're interested in some GCC internals, the concept of tail
recursion and tail-calls, calling conventions and the like, please let me
know.  I'd be very interested to meet up with people who have worked on
similar projects before, or people who would be interested in using my GCC
optimisations for their own projects.

Cheers,
Andi.