X Windows (Was: [Q] Debain 3.0 Startup....)

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Sat Aug 17 22:00:27 EST 2002

Rasjid Wilcox (rasjidw at openminddev.net) wrote:
> Now restart the Xserver.  (I always either change the runlevel to 3 and then
> back to 5, or use the GUI for this, so I'm not sure the best way of doing
> this on debian.  Rebooting will do it.  ;-)  Can someone let me know?  Is a
> killall the best way?

There's a number of ways:

  *  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will kill the running X server, and xdm will
     start a new one in its place
  *  "/etc/init.d/xdm restart" will stop and start xdm itself, and hence
     give you a new X server
  *  ps -eo pid,comm | grep xdm | awk '{ print $1 }' | xargs kill -HUP
     will send the hangup signal to all runnning xdm processes, causing
     them to restart.

This is true for most systems running XFree86, on some you'll have to
adjust the path to the sysvinit script, on some 'ps' will call the
'comm(and)' option 'cmnd' or other names, and on some the X server
keystrokes such as Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (and Ctrl-Alt-KP_Plus,
Ctrl-Alt-KP_Minus, etc) are disabled in the config.

--
Matt
"So, logically, if she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood, and therefore a witch!"