[Q] Debain 3.0 Startup....

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat Aug 17 13:35:09 EST 2002

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 11:32 am, Donovan J. Edye wrote:
<snip>
> - Does anyone know of a good (nice GUI etc. - I use PowerTerm as my Win32
> telnet client) Win32 SSH client?
>
> - I use CygWin Xfree server to get into my Debian 3.0 box. What do I need
> to have installed on it for this to work? (Put another way. What can I
> uninstall)

Normally I would recommend using Putty as the SSH client, but it is a little
unclear what you are doing here, and you have also mentioned Cygwin-XFree.
If you are running Cygwin-XFree anyway, then it may be better to use Cygwin's
ssh.

Is your Debian box on your local network, and how concerned are you about
security??  You have several different options depending on the situation.

1.  Run Cygwin-XFree on your windows box, with the -query option (a XDMCP
session).  This involves keeping gdm, kdm or xdm on your debian box, but just
telling it not to start an XSession locally.  (For xdm on RH7.3, edit
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers - it should be similar on Debian I think.  You will
need to find the location of the config files for gdm/kdm on Debian.)  This
is not secure, but may be fine in a local LAN behind a firewall.  In this
case, the Debian box will manage the Xsession.

2.  Start a Cygwin-XFree X server, but without a window manager.  SSH into the
debian box with either putty or the cygwin ssh command, with X forwarding
turned on (-X on ssh) and start your xsession script, which should then
automagically be displayed on the Cygwin-XFree X server.  (There may be some
extra details to work out here).

3.  Start a normal Cygwin-XFree session (with window manager).  Just ssh in to
the debian box, again with the -X option.  New programs will automatically be
displayed in the Cygwin-XFree session.  You *do not* need to worry about
exporting the display variable, ssh handles all that.

If security is a concern, the *DO NOT* ssh in and then export the display.
This sends all X commands unencrypted, including any passwords that you type
onto the command line (such as su) or into dialog boxes etc.  Always use the
-X switch of ssh (or the equivalent option in putty).

If security is not a concern, then personally I would use XDMCP, but that is
up to you.

Cheers,

Rasjid.