[Q] Debain 3.0 Startup....

Pietro Abate abate at discus.anu.edu.au
Sat Aug 17 10:55:10 EST 2002

Hi,
if you can switch to a console (alt+f1), login as root and stop the ?dm
server (xdm, gdm, kdm ??). This is a temporary solution. To boot the
machine in console mode you can both remove the ?dm package, remove the
init script (update-rc.d) o doing something with the runlevel (I'm not
sure of that). My solution was to put 'exit 0' at the beginning of the
gdm init script. that's because if you remove the init script with
update-rc.d, but not the package itself, the next upgrade you will
experience the same problem. I'm sure there is a policy compliant method
to fix that.

if you can't switch in console mode... boot in single user mode to solve
the problem as above.

btw, install sshd, not a 'telnet sever' to log in your box remotely.

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 09:14:28AM +1000, Donovan J. Edye wrote:
> G'Day,
>
> Just completed a Debian 3.0 install and all looks OK except for the fact
> that the system comes up with a graphical login prompt. Needless to say the
> monitor connected to the box cannot handle this. So. How do I stop booting
> into the graphics mode and purely into a text mode. A solution that can work
> form the console would be appreciated. I forgot to install a telnet server
> so I cannot get to the box remotely. *grumble*
>
> -- Donovan
> E-Mail: d.edye at bigfoot.com Web: www.edye.wattle.id.au/
> "If I throw a stick will you go away?"
> "Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my pants!"
> GXExplorer - Freeware Delphi Windows Explorer Replacement
> and Delphi Components www.gxexplorer.org

pgp key: 1024D/8A091922 2000-10-18
Pietro Abate <abateNoMoReSpAm at students.cs.unibo.it>
Key fingerprint = 5111 D91B 5E0C 5CE6 FDA3  5EF4 6120 E18E 8A09 1922
public key avalaible via public key server at wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net