APM, my laptop, and the CPU fan

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Aug 14 19:36:04 EST 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:08:57 +1000 Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sometimes APM fails me on 2.4.18, and I come back to a hybernated laptop
> > with a flat battery. I finally worked out why... If the CPU fan is running
> > when the laptop enters hybernation, then it stays running once the laptop
> > is hybernated.
>
> By hybernated (sic) do you mean "context saved to disk and machine
> powered off" or do you mean "context still in memory and CPU off"?

As in lib shut, and it saved the world to hard disk... I can remove the
battery in this state and it will restore itself to running. I guess
that's the first option.

> > Is this an APM thing? Where should I start looking? I grepped for thw work
> > fan in apm.c, and found nothing...
>
> Entirely up to the BIOS (as long as you tell it the right thing).

Hmmm. I will dig there, perhaps I have the "flatten my battery and make my
backpack very warm occassionally" option turned on. It's strange, because
it only happens sometimes.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)     UMT+10hrs