Non greedy pattern match in sed

Paul Bryan pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 13 20:57:20 EST 2002

This is from the do it with sed
(http://www.dbnet.ece.ntua.gr/~george/howto/sed/sedtut_1.html):

I haven't tried it out, but from a casual glance it looks reasonable...

                       Delete comments from C code

#!/usr/bin/sed -f

# if no /* get next
/\/\*/!b

# here we've got an /*, append lines until get the corresponding
# */
:x
/\*\//!{
bx
}

# delete /*...*/
s/\/\*.*\*\///

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:25, Michael Still wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I would like non greedy regexp matching in sed.
>
> i.e.
>
> echo "/* This is a */ test /* line */" | sed 's/\/\*.*\*\//g'
>                                                             ^^
>                                                     Non greedy toggle
>                                                     here?
>
> Should result in:
>
> " test "
>
> Any hints?
>
> Thanks,
> Mikal

- --
Paul Bryan
E-Mail: pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk

PGP Key
http://www.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1D405DA

Fifth Law of Procrastination:
	Procrastination avoids boredom; one never has the feeling that
	there is nothing important to do.