Managing Expectations (was Re: Debian 3.0 CDRs)

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Aug 8 15:43:59 EST 2002

On Thursday, August 8, 2002, at 02:03 , Sam Couter wrote:

> Alfred <alfred at mazuma.net.au> wrote:
>> ... To get Xfree 4.0 (for GL support) and KDE 2.2 to run was a major
>> exercise

The hardest part would be becoming familiar with the apt system over the
rpm system.

"Woody" contains XFree86 4.1.0 and KDE 2.2.25, your
/etc/apt/sources.list would only need to look like:

deb http://www.planetmirror.com.au/debian woody main contrib non-free
deb http://www.planetmirror.com.au/debian-non-US woody/non-US main
contrib non-
free
deb http://www.planetmirror.com.au/debian-security woody/updates main
contrib non-free

I don't see anything "hackish" about modifying a configuration file in
such a simple manner.  Except of course that it requires the use of a
text editor and a keyboard, rather than a mouse and a pointy-clicky
interface.

Yes, the Debian installer has a long way to go in terms of configuring
package sources. I just say "no" to all the questions about which sets
of sources to use, then after the machine has rebooted and finished the
install process, I edit the /etc/apt/sources.list and update/upgrade.

The hardest part about moving from something else to Debian is to
discard your expectations of how Debian is supposed to work.  It doesn't
work like RedHat, it doesn't work like Mandrake.  Debian works like
Debian.

Alex