Debian 3.0 CDRs

Alfred alfred at mazuma.net.au
Thu Aug 8 14:14:57 EST 2002

<snip>
> If you were using dselect and/or aptitude and/or deity or some other
> frontend to APT, you might have had an easier time.

I had no UI when the installer had finished....

> But, using APT:
>
> apt-get update && apt-get install x-window-system kde

Wouldn't work because it pointed to older releases. I needed Xfree 4.0
and wanted KDE 2.2. The default grabbed 3.x and 2.0.

> You shouldn't have had to touch APT config files once you've specified
> which archives it should use.
Finding the archives I wanted (for my newer versions) was painful. It
was "hackish" to get the versions I wanted (stable but newer ones).

It wasn't an easy process to install newish versions of programs I
wanted (i.e versions similar to what Mandrake ships). The install
process needed a bit of polish (IMHO).